Search this blog

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Review: Gulliver's Travels

Gulliver's Travels Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was mistaken to think this was a children's book--not only because of the difficulty of its language (it took me two weeks to read, mind you), but also the nature of the notions discussed therein. Of course, I thought that because we had it in Ladybird-picture-book format in our childhood.

The aspect I found most enjoyable was that you couldn't tell when the author was being sarcastic (if at all, that is); the way he would describe people of certain vocations (e.g., lawyers, doctors) is so straightforward it's almost comical.

This book is basically a polemic against humans in general and their ridiculous ways. As much as I hate saying this, read it at your own risk.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment